My first day in Latvia


Wandering the sometimes maize-like streets of Liepaja, I came upon this house, which now may be a restaurant, in what resembles the Tudor style. I've not seen any other examples of Tudor. (In time I learned that this is indeed a popular restaurant that I pass every time I walk to campus. It's known as Pastnieka Maja - or, Postman's House. I've had several meals there - all delicious, with large servings, and authentically Latvian.)

This section is quite close to the city center where the daily outdoor market is located. It is very commont to see a juxtaposition of old and old-but-redone styles. Latvia is covered in many forests, so there is a lot of wood construction.

This intersection is near Graudu Iela (Grain Street), one of the more prominent and well-dressed locations in Liepaja. Again, notice the contrast in architectural styles. The contemporary building to our right houses the Liepaja Symphony Orchestra. Sometimes while walking to or from campus, I hear students practicing - such fun!
This was a perfect late summer day, breezy, and mostly sunny. Folks are out enjoying themselves. This is part of the "downtown" scene.
Here along Graudu Iela (Grain St.), the cobblestones can be treacherous - at least they would be to me if I were wearing stiletto heels like this woman. Such dress is very common in Liepaja.

A magical day! September 1. It was the first day of school for the children, and here at the university (building on right) the students are out in force. On my way to campus a few hours earlier I noticed a number of children carrying small bunches of flowers - for their teachers? Here in Latvia, flowers are given and displayed and enjoyed for many occasions. A small but lovely bunch costs less than a dollar.
The stark contrast between old and new is remarkable. Obviously the building on the left was built since Latvia regained independence in the early 1990s.