On a Friday Afternoon


On my first Friday afternoon I discovered a half dozen market stalls set up at Rozu Laukums (Rose Square) across the street from the main university building. I thought this chair was beautiful, and it looked quite comfortable. I wanted to try it out but it was occupied...

Kids will be kids, right? Here in nearby Jurmala Park, they're taking turns riding their bikes on a skateboard slope. One older guy was pretty good, while some younger ones wiped out most of the time.
On my first Saturday in town, there was a car rally. People were really excited and this was just the place where the cars got checked in. I hope the rally itself was held out of town! There were scores of cars entered; they filled the adjacent parking lot. I was chased out by a friendly guard who apparently had been told to keep folks away.
This is the one end of Tirgonu Iela (Market St.), the city center pedestrian mall. It comes down to a point at Rose Square. I find the architecture quite charming! There are two of those yellow-and-green buildings although just one is showing here. They are several HUNDRED years old; this plaza used to be the local marketplace.