Applying for the Grant

On Sunday, March 1, 2009, the grant cycle for academic year 2010-11 officially opened. I arrived at my desk at 8:00 that morning, coffee in hand, but the website didn't go "live" until midday. From then on, I spent several hours a day poring over the various institutions that expressed interest in a scholar with my qualifications. I contacted a number of universities; not everyone responded.



On the advice of a neighbor who completed two Fulbright awards, I contacted the Fulbright office in Washington to seek advice. Since March 2009 I’ve enjoyed numerous exchanges with Dr. Jean McPeek. Noting my interest in the former Soviet bloc nations and the relative lack of applicant interest in the region, Jean suggested I consider the Baltic States.



Over a period of weeks and months I cultivated relationships with faculty and staff at Liepaja University in Liepaja, Latvia and Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas, Lithuania. In due time I composed the vital project statement. The title of my project is, “Adult Education for a Changing Society.” I submitted it for the August 1 deadline. At this point I had worked on my application for several hours a day, seven days a week, since March 1. I knew it was my very best work so I vowed that I would be satisfied with the outcome regardless of the decision.

The review process involved a careful scrutiny of my package by stateside reviewers. Review panels may include former Fulbright recipients. Around Thanksgiving I learned I was still “in the running” and my file would be sent to reviewers overseas. In March I received a thin letter in the mail announcing my selection for a grant to go to Latvia.