Liepaja has a long history of theater. This beautiful building just off the main street contains the playhouse. It's very elegant! The banner on the side advertises the 2-night run of Leonard Bernstein's famous "West Side Story." Linda, one of my students, dates a cast member, and she very kindly gave me a ticket as a birthday present  (I understand they were hard to come by). Soon thereafter I received a call from the U.S. Embassy in Riga: the Ambassador had invited me to be her guest for the performance! It was a thrilling night altogether; the play was presented in Latvian except for the music, which was sung in English. What I loved most was that local high schoolers had been invited to audition for parts - they did all of the dancing, which was very vigorous and exciting. A night to remember...