My plenary talk was entitled, "Toward a Democratic Society: Tearing Down the Walls of the Mind." I had sent it ahead for translation into Latvian, German and Russian, but for some reason the audience did not receive the handout until I began to speak, so it was a bit awkward. Following my presentation I took several questions - this one from a very nice German professor who wanted to know more about "breaking the walls"... Oh dear! He made the point that for many older people who lived through totalitarian regimes, it is not so easy to cast off a mindset that is so completely accepting of government authority or a paternalistic orientation. Might I share some advice on how to become more self-determinate?
I replied that it was essential for every citizen to claim the right to a voice, and to embrace civic duty..."for the sake of your children and your children's children."